Thursday 2 October 2008

ink marks on a blank page -Thursday October 2

Deary me,dreary me? well a tad late for this one.Blame the son, his birthday and I had to cook.Did okay though they all ate up big and even took a whole pizza away with them for dinner Friday. Not that I cook very much or have an extended repertoire like new wave men are supposed to have. Really though I'm not in that new wave time frame, sort of receded or tide gone out wave,being the age I am. Don't feel or even look like my grandfather did at his age or should say the age I am now(66). Those chaps (and women) had lived through two world wars and all that goes with the times following on.



Just think on this . Most folk (UK) during the second war had rationing to cope with and bombs falling down around them and the threat of invasion for years. Where we lived there was intermittent electricity and not much water from the taps. At age three months I was of course oblivious to all of that but our mother wasn't. She had to leave her secretarial work and trundle off to a munitions factory to make ordinance. Grandfather /Grandmother coped remarkably well with us until I was out in the snow once and contracted pneumonia which then turned into diphtheria. Eventually we had to pack up and shift off to a warmer climate and that is how I finished up in a small Australian country town that was as dry and dusty as our old village was wet and snowy.



Indeed Hortense they were trying times as you well know, oh yes I well remember ration books too. Hortense i have been meaning to ask you for such along time, but during the war you never seemed to run out of stockings or chocolates did you ? Oh dear Hortense no I was not referring to the close proximity of that air base at all, now would I?

Some managed better than others ,that's all.



Just like now dear, you know what with the credit thing in Wall street. Tush,I wasn't going to talk about things I know nothing about,would I now? Only seems a little odd to me that the sales of Ferrai haven't slowed down at all there and so many folk in the US have lost their homes. Goes to show though, in the land of the free and plenty, some have some don't.

No comments: