Wednesday 1 October 2008

ink marks on a blank page -Wedneday 1st of October

Another month just trundled by, did you hear it? Guess I must have been asleep as last time I looked up it was still July and the airbus 380 was just touching down. Nice plane but we sat on the tarmac at Heathrow for a couple of hours whilst the techs fixed summat that had come loose.
Never a great start to a long haul flight, but once in the air the darn thing just oozes class and is so quiet and smooth.

Flying isn't my love, travel is yes , just love it but the getting there at times takes the fun out of the first few days wherever you land I think.My big hate is jet lag as I tend to act even stranger than I am normally.Not a drinker these days as I haven't touched a drop for 34 years, and yes Hortense I am counting, it's what us alcoholics do, we brag about when was the last drink.
Jet lag brings back that out of control thing that is really hard to stop, you know you shouldn't but you do anyway.Does for me anyway, and no Hortense that isn't why the lady shouted at me,I certainly didn't touch her at all, you know how crowded it is on the Metro.

Do you like the way I snuck the word Metro in? That's to let you know I have been to Paris, subtle sort of point scoring thing that I do sometimes.
Yes Hortense I know it was way back in '97, yes yes, but we had left for Barcelona when SHE had that accident the poor love. See I did it again, now you all know I have been to Barcelona. Just sort of slipped out that did, I wasn't going to mention that at all, well not yet anyway.

But Paris really is the BIG thing y'know, and talk about innocents abroad, we walked from the Opera to where we had the apartment in Monmartre on a hot Paris day , was a Wednesday as I recall. Perhaps that's why I'm writing about Paris now, a deja vu thing, y'know sort of Wednesday "Heck I must be in Paris, it was Wednesday when we got there wasn't it"
There were lots and lots of people roaming the streets and every lane / alley/street we down seemed to have hordes of folk all going the other way. Finally we staggered up to the apartment block, flopped/ went into the vestibule. The concierge leapt up asked names and the normal things then looked about,"Pardon m'sieu, your taxi? and the rest of your luggage? I explained that we had walked, that seemed to render him speechless for a few seconds,"Oh m'sieu, mmmmm, Australie?"

From then on we were always introduced to the residents as the Australians who "Walked from l'opera", but with a slight inclination of his head and a sort of pointed finger at the ear as well.
Yes Hortense I do know that means he thought we were crackers.

Talking about crackers, what about Congress eh? Didn't folk use to say that if a butterfly flapped its wings in the jungles of Brazil the rain would tip down in London, or summat like that. Gee, just think of what the flap is like on Wall st. and what the ramifications of that will be.
Yes Hortense I did promise to only talk about things I know about,sorrrreeee,maybe next time then.

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

So I was 10 when you last imbibed.