Thursday 27 November 2008

Ink marks on a blank page Friday Nov 28th

Much ado about very little methinks.What am I talking about? why the critics response to the film Australia actually. Now I would say that wouldn't I? as an Australian it is my duty to champion what is of this country and who is of the country. The pure fact of the matter, and from one who has actually seen the movie, the critics both here and abroad have missed the point entirely. yes the film is long, no there aren't any deep and meaningful metaphors to ponder over that answer all of life's questions, there are metaphors a plenty but none that are full of unintelligible gabble that film critiques generally consist of. I can speak with some authority on this, unlike my usual protestations , as in doing my last degree I also took a year of film studies.

That doesn't give me carte blanche and sweeping powers of deconstruction I know, but what it does give is a little understanding about how film might work.As a 21st century film 'Australia' does have shortcomings, but as a film that highlights a place ( the Northern Territory) and society of the times in which it's set, the film and the direction does that admirably. My maternal grandfather was the controller of wharves and railways (in Darwin)during this period in history so I have first hand knowledge of just what it was like to be there and the cattle country in that era. For myself I also know just what it was like to be a drover, muster/drive cattle and sheep long distances, as I did just that in the 1950's. Australia at that time(1950's) was still very much a frontier country way up in the bush so what it must have been like in the 40's was more of the same only harder.The film captures that spirit and hardship so well I relived most of the worst times,and there were plenty, the best times(some) and all of the hardships. Like the time we took 5thousand head of sheep to a rail head, only arrived with three thousand and I had a horse die under me . The year it rained after 7 years of no rain at all, was March 14Th 3 days after my 14Th birthday. The first night out mustering I was told to get into my 'swag'(sleeping gear of canvas) early because I was the horse tailer. You might well ponder as I did what that was. The horses are unsaddled after work and let loose but one horse has hobbles and a bell so that it cannot wander far. The horse tailer takes out a bridle at about 4am and listens for the bell, finds the horse then catches it, bridles up and rides bareback around in the dark looking for the un-hobbled horses. When you find the 'mob' and on a big muster there could be fifty you round them up and drive them back to camp.



Australia the film, captures most of the hardships of this life and also the absolute grandeur of the country, so for just that it gets my 100% tick of approval for I know about these things. What I don't know about is kissing Nicole Kidman so on that I cannot speak with any authority. I once acted in a film produced by Twentieth Century Fox so the very sight of those searchlights and that opening music makes me edgy with anticipation. The film was 'Kangaroo' and there are scenes in 'Australia' that are reminiscent of 'my' movie as well so once again I was on similar territory. One of the problems of Australian society is just how parochial they once and possibly still are, conditions in OZ didn't change much for years and what was fashion in clothes/furniture etc(in the late 40's) was still fashion almost up to the 70's. In a previous blog there was mention of the 'laconic' OZ bush manner, and the main male character gets to express that quite often also with the dry sense of humour which is part and parcel of Australia.

This then is a BIG movie,not Werner Fassbinder or even Cohen Bros, but a great look and a good rollicking yarn full of real characters, and the young kid who plays Nulla, a star in the making. If you are searching for metaphor and meaning it is there, in huge dollops because what this film is all about stares you right in the face. The message is there all across the screen. 'AUSTRALIA', the narrative of this film is just that, the country and the land itself. Go see it, if you don't enjoy then come here, look for yourself, and you will see just what the critics missed.

No Hortense I didn't get billing on the credits although everyone else did, and yes I did cry, four separate times. Yes I know I shouted out when I recognised that lady I had met last year. A bit gauche Hortense, I did cringe too but possibly not as much as the Citibank exec who was trying to explain why Citibank were spending lots of that money nice Congress gave them buying up bad debts . They were really bad debts too Horty, and you want to know what is so funny? These were debts that Citibank created in the first place then on-sold to bankers all 'round the world so that eventually it all turned toxic and created the fiscal mess we are now in. Yes Hortense I do know that when all the dust settles Citibank will make oodles of money out of these debts, but first they have to lay off lots of workers over Christmas . Why is that? what would I know Hortense, I do know that Gelato is cheaper today than it will be tomorrow, let's go!!

4 comments:

lamb and blonde said...

I am greatly looking forward to seeing "Australia" as I love Nicole K and Hugh J and anything by Baz L. And, of course, your country sounds so fantastic--how could I not want to see a film about it?

Jannie Funster said...

I love a man who can cry at a movie, four times no less. And tell it.

I had never in my 44.67 years on the planet pondered the pioneers who had to settle your land.

I have two friends in Brisbane I've not yet met, been writing to them since 1994. Just a matter of teim til we make it that way.

Jim actually lived in Sydney for six months about 35 years ago and hasn't been back since.

I think the Cohen Bros oughta film the next one in your realm. Call it "No Country For Wimps."

Jannie Funster said...

Oh Muriel's Wedding - classic! Forgot to mention that one.

Jannie Funster said...

Just inc ase ya didn't know, I've gone back to your first post and am working my way forward.